Post-Op Surgical Instructions
Please follow these instructions for your post operative care:
- Do NOT smoke.
- Take your antibiotics as directed on the bottle.
- Ice can be used for the first 48 hours after surgery. Use the ice pack for 20 min on then 20 min off.
- It is okay to begin gently brushing the teeth on the day of surgery using a soft toothbrush. Avoid the area of the implant.
- If you are numb the day after surgery, please call the office.
- If you were given a prescription mouthwash use as directed on the bottle.
- Keep a soft diet for a couple of days and chew on the opposite side.
- Mild oozing of blood is normal for 24-48 hours.
- Call the office if you have persistent heavy bleeding that does not stop with direct pressure on the site or if you have bleeding from a nostril.
- The sutures will dissolve on their own in 7-10 days or will be removed at your follow-up appointment.
- If you are wearing a flipper or an Essix appliance as a replacement tooth, there should be no pressure on the implant. If you feel pressure on the implant, take the appliance out and call the office.
Please review the attached PDF of our complete post-surgical instructions or call our office if you have further questions regarding your surgery.