- Do NOT smoke.
- On the day of surgery, take the pain medications as directed even if you are numb.
- Ice should be used for the first 48 hours after surgery. Use the ice pack for 20 min on then 20 min off.
- Lip and chin numbness may last up to 12 hours after surgery. If you are still numb the day after surgery, please call the office.
- Saltwater rinses begin the day after surgery (1/4 tsp in 8 oz of warm water three times a day for 5 min).
- Keep a soft diet for the next 14 days (mashed potatoes, yogurt, oatmeal, fish, well-cooked veggies).
- Mild oozing of blood is normal for 24-48 hrs.
- Call the office if you have persistent heavy bleeding that does not stop with direct pressure on the extraction sites. A tea bag can be used instead of gauze.
- Expect some bruising of the cheeks and jowls.
- If you were given a prescription mouthwash use as directed on the bottle.
- Minimize strenuous activity for 7 days after surgery.
- The sutures will dissolve on their own in 7-10 days.
- If you receive a denture on the day of surgery:
- You should see your dentist for the first adjustment on the day or surgery or the day after.
- Do not remove the denture for one week after surgery.
- After one week you can take the denture out at night to brush the gums with a soft brush.
- After two weeks, you should leave the denture out at night while you sleep.
Post-Op Surgical Instructions
Multiple Extractions With Denture Delivery
Please follow these instructions for your post operative care:
Please review the attached PDF of our complete post-surgical instructions or call our office if you have further questions regarding your surgery.