- Do NOT smoke.
- On the day of surgery, take the pain medications as directed even if you are numb.
- Ice should be used for the first 48hrs after surgery. Use the ice pack for 20 min on then 20 min off.
- It is okay to begin gently brushing the teeth on the day of surgery using a soft toothbrush.
- Lip and chin numbness may last up to 12 hours after surgery. If you are still numb the day after surgery, please call the office.
- Saltwater rinses begin the day after surgery (1/4 tsp in 8 oz of warm water three times a day for 5 min).
- Mild oozing of blood is normal for 24-48 hrs.
- Call the office if you have persistent heavy bleeding that does not stop with direct pressure on the extraction sites. A tea bag can be used instead of gauze.
- If you were given a prescription mouthwash use as directed on the bottle.
- Keep a soft diet, avoid using a straw, and chew on the opposite side from your extractions for a couple of days.
- It is normal to shed a few small pieces of graft. If you notice large quantity of sand like material in your mouth, please call the office.
- The sutures will dissolve on their own in 7-10 days or will be removed at a follow-up appointment.
Post-Op Surgical Instructions
Tooth Removal with Bone Grafting
Please follow these instructions for your post operative care:
Please review the attached PDF of our complete post-surgical instructions or call our office if you have further questions regarding your surgery.