Post-Op Surgical Instructions
Please follow these instructions for your post operative care:
- Do NOT smoke.
- Do NOT blow your nose.
- Take your antibiotics as directed on the bottle.
- On the day of surgery, take the pain medications as directed even if you are numb.
- Ice should be used for the first 48 hours after surgery.
- Use the ice pack for 20 min on then 20 min off.
- It is okay to begin gently brushing the teeth on the day of surgery using a soft toothbrush. Avoid the surgical site.
- Saltwater rinses begin the day after surgery (1/4 tsp in 8 oz of warm water three times a day for 5 min).
- Mild oozing of blood is normal for 24-48 hrs.
- Call the office if you have persistent heavy bleeding that does not stop with direct pressure.
- Expect to see some bruising of the cheeks or around the eyes.
- If you were given a prescription mouthwash use as directed on the bottle.
- Keep a soft diet for a couple of days and chew on the opposite side.
- The sutures will dissolve on their own in 7-10 days or will be removed at your follow-up appointment.
Please review the attached PDF of our complete post-surgical instructions or call our office if you have further questions regarding your surgery.